Visual Clues of Tornado Formation
1. Large, rounded rain-free base – suggests mesocyclone is present.
2. Increasing spin in wall cloud and cloud base around wall cloud – suggests low-level rotation
3. Clear slot forms – bright cloud-free “notch” eroded in rain-free base. Suggests rear-flank
downdraft, possible mechanism for tornado formation.
4. Rapid vertical motions – scud rising into wall cloud, sinking motion around wall cloud from
5. Local burst of heavy rain/hail just west or southwest of wall cloud – another possible tornado
PASTORAL POWER ELECTRONICS FROM THE HEART OF TENNESSEE